MAKING A DIFFERENCE
• Team sports can result in lifelong improvements to your educational, career, and health prospects.
• Being obese makes you more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol
or high blood pressure.
• Healthy lifestyle habits, including healthy eating & physical activity, can lower your risk of becoming obese
& developing related diseases.
• Schools play a particularly critical role by establishing a safe and supportive environment with policies
and practices that support healthy behaviors. Schools also provide opportunities for students to learn
about and practice healthy eating and physical activity behavior.
• High school girls who play sports are less likely to be involved in an unintended pregnancy; more likely to
get better grades in school and more likely to graduate than girls who do not play sports.
• Girls and women who play sports have higher levels of confidence and self-esteem and lower levels
• Girls and women who play sports have a more positive body image and experience higher states
of psychological well-being than girls and women who do not play sports.
• New research shows that joining athletics may be a catalyst for success in other areas of life,
especially for young girls.